Popular Posts

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bird Feeders, yes, this is still day one!

I must say, the kids are LOVING my mission! It was just perfect to start conquering Pinterest on a Sunday! With that being said, we started project number 2, Bird Feeders.


We first gathered the materials. You will need...
Bird seed (1 cup made 6 small bird feeders)
1 envelope of Gelatine
1/4 cup of water
Cookie cutters and/or molds ( I used some plastic sand molds)
Wax paper
and string/ribbon/wire.

We prepared by laying out the wax paper. Each child got a wax paper surface to work on. Then I tied the knots (with loops) in the string so they were ready when we needed them.


The girls waited anxiously while I did the next step, which is heating the water and Gelatine. I put the 1/4 cup of water with one envelope of Gelatine in a small pot on the stove. I heated to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the Gelatine was dissolved. This only took a couple of minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the bird seed. (The original recipe called for 3/4 cup of bird seed and said to add more if there was extra Gelatine. Well, I had to add more seed about 4 times, so I am saying I probably used about 1 cup)



I carried the pot to the table and started spooning the seeds into the first mold. Surprisingly, the seeds were not hot and the kids were able to press them firmly into the molds and cookie cutters.

So, we filled the molds about 1/2 way and then laid the knotted loops on the seeds. (This was not as easy as it sounds. The strings WILL stick to your fingers. The gelatine mixture is REALLY sticky!) The girls had to hold the strings in place while I spooned more seeds on top. We used the wax paper to press firmly on the seeds in order to pack them down.


Kennedy and Brooke were not so happy about the stickiness. It made it really hard to work with the seeds and so I ended up doing most of the work.


So, the instructions say to let them dry overnight. Well, we did ours in the morning and let them dry until about dinner time (Probably 6 hours) and they were not so easy to remove from the cookie cutters. I actually haven't attempted to remove them from the molds yet.


The bell bird feeder made it...


The star did not.

So, maybe I need to let them dry longer. I will wait until tomorrow to try the rest of the molds and will keep you posted on my success.

All in all, the photos on Pinterest were beautiful and I thought it would be a little less messy. The kids loved the idea of this project, but complained the entire time about the stickiness. And I have kids who love to get messy!

I originally pinned this idea from eighteen25

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great idea for backyard feeders. Instead of a few big bird feeders everywhere, hang these up in the trees!

    ReplyDelete